Sunday, February 24, 2019

Waiting and Worrying

There is an old saying that goes something like this: What you worry about never happens, so go ahead and worry. That isn't exactly how it goes, but it is close enough. So today I am starting the worrying nice and early.
My morning view.
Every morning, before I my feet hit the floor, I open my eyes and check the view through the colored windows in our bedroom. After many years, I can discern whether it is sunny or cloudy, snowing or raining, or breezy. Breezy. That was what I was looking for this morning.  There was a slight movement of the smaller branches on the maple trees in our yard and I could tell it was a blue sky sunny morning. I was surprised to see the sun because I was ready to face the beginning of what has been forecast to be a harrowing day with high winds that will average at 35 to 45 miles per hour and gusts as high as 75 miles per hour. So, I am sure that I am not the only one checking the movement of the tree limbs this morning, I would venture a guess that everyone else in the whole Western New York region is looking up at the trees around their and their neighbors' houses. Our house was built in 1846, so it is safe to say that it has withstood many storms. I hope today is no exception.

As I prayed about my own safety, I realized I needed to expand my thoughts outside my own four walls. Of course I prayed for my husband. I always do. But then I thought of the first responders who will be out trying to help anyone who needs it. And all the calls won't be just for storm related emergencies. What about the person who falls ill and needs to get to the hospital or the expectant mother who goes into labor and needs to get to the hospital in the midst of all of what is supposed to be an awful weather day? Prayers.

I am sitting in our living room as I write this. I just turned to look out the front windows and instead of a blue sky, I now see a dark threatening sky. It looks like snow clouds, but I know that wind clouds can also be dark. The wind has completely diminished and there is nary a twig swaying. It is eerily still. That tells the wannabe meteorologist in me that the wind has been sucked out of our area and is now somewhere else . . . but will most likely arrive when those clouds cover our village. OK. I have worked myself up into a high state of worry.

I planned some projects to keep me occupied today. The first is to work on a Mardi Gras themed wreath. We don't celebrate it like they do in New Orleans, but I saw some pretty things at the store and before I knew it, they landed in my shopping cart. So, I will be working on that today . . . hopefully under my work lights and not by candlelight.
Some of the supplies I've gathered for my Mardi Gras wreath.
We anticipated the fact that we may lose electric power, so we have lots of food on hand that can be served cold. Just like before a snow storm, we; along with other Western New Yorkers; prepare as if we will be unable to shop for weeks.

It is beginning to thunder. I guess the wannabe meteorologist in me didn't see that coming. It is raining now and very still. I am definitely worried. So, I will close here, get another cup of hot coffee, charge up all our electronic devices and wait . . . and hopefully the winds won't be as strong as they say they will be and everyone will remain safe.

Wherever you are, I hope you and those you love are happy and healthy . . . and safe from the storms that seem to be everywhere. As always your questions and comments are welcome here on my blog or on Facebook. I do read them and always respond. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy



No comments:

Post a Comment