Sunday, February 3, 2019

Super Bowl Sunday

As we get closer to the beginning of the Super Bowl, in about 45 minutes, we are still trying to decide if we will watch the game or a movie. We are not fans of either team, so it does not matter to us which team wins or loses. We are fans of a few NFL teams, and one in particular; but none of them made it to the big game. We enjoyed the playoffs, and maybe that is enough. But will we miss something that a large percentage of the population will be watching en masse, if we aren't viewing it at the same time as everyone else? We have the DVR set to record it and figure that we can fast forward through the game and maybe even some of the commercials . . . even though some people say they really only watch for the entertainment at half time and to see the commercials . . . we do enjoy a good football game! If it is a close game, that is all the better. So, we will decide soon and in the meanwhile, I will work on some hand sewing or sorting a box of baubles that I plan to use soon on a special paper craft project.

We had an extreme wintry spell over the past week with temperatures dipping down to -9 degrees and windchills to -25. The National Weather Service officially called it a blizzard, which is a pretty rare occurrence, even for us here in Western New York State. I fought off my nervousness about the cold and snow and whiteouts by hunkering down in my studio. Luckily, I had gone shopping before the storm and instead of buying bread and milk, I stocked up on materials for some new projects, so I made a wreath to keep myself occupied. I have discovered that making wreaths is a very satisfying way to use my creativity and even though I like to  make quilts, they take much longer, so the rewards come sooner when making a wreath!

If you would like a closer view, please click on the photo to enlarge it.
It is February.
That means it is time to make all things Valentine.
I made this wreath during the blizzard we had this past week.
It is approximately 24" across by 7" deep.
During the winter months I find I am inclined to pursuing what were once called the  "domestic arts" . . . sewing, decorating (which includes paper crafting, drawing, painting and mixed media) and even cleaning and cooking. Well, maybe not so much cooking! But I do like to clean in the winter because the brightness from the snow makes the rooms in our old house filled with light and it makes such chores easier. :-) I have jumped on the popular Mrs. Meyers wagon and am waiting for my first order to arrive. I can't believe how excited I am as I anticipate the arrival of cleaning supplies! They are supposed to be delivered this week, so will let you know how I liked them in my next post; and if you have tried them, I'd like to hear from you.

While I have been writing this post, I have been taking little breaks to watch the movie Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte with my husband. It had been a long time since I Iast saw the movie. It made me think about what people silently suffer through, how they are mistreated and misunderstood and what conclusions people often jump to. The movie is an extreme example, but the story of deceit and manipulation is probably played out more often than we realize. It really is hard for me to believe how badly people can treat one another. I try to see the best in people. I expect it. Sometimes I am disappointed, but there is a lot of good in our world. People are doing good things and that is what I need to remember.

It is halftime now . . . and I have been peeking at the score on my phone. Shhhh . . . don't tell my husband! He just started watching the recorded game . . . from the beginning. So, I will close here so we can watch the game together, see the commercials, the halftime show and then have fun reading fans' reactions tomorrow on social media!

As always, your questions and comments are welcome. You can post them here on my blog or on Facebook. I read them and always respond. So, may the best team win and until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment