Friday, December 14, 2018

"The No-Autumn Autumn"


Autumn weather went missing this year. It threw me off balance and now I am feeling like I need to play catch up in the gardens, which are still snow covered, but might see the light of day during the warm spell we will have this weekend. The weatherman is predicting a balmy 43 degrees and partial sun for tomorrow! Even though I knew what the calendar on the wall was telling me, I experienced a disconnect between the date and the weather. Out of the 30 days in November, only 4 were without rain or snow! The odd weather patterns fooled the trees into holding on to their leaves, and they did not drop until mid November when we had a hard freeze. They all came down at once, leaving a deep mushy mess on the yard and gardens. Too wet to rake, the brown waterlogged leaves laid on the ground . . . heavy and slippery to walk on. I continued to wait to go outside to do a few things and lost track of the passing of the month until I flipped the calendar page. December arrived . . . right on time and just as promised. Then, it became very cold and snowed. It boggles my mind that today is December 14th! Fall will be officially over in one week when we observe the winter solstice. The best news about that day is that the days will slowly start to get longer. The darkness at the end of the day will fade during winter into spring light. But for now . . . I am playing catch up inside, not outside, since I put off my annual autumn inside chores while I waited for it to arrive. But, do I really have anything to complain about? The answer is "no." When I think about some of the news I have received this week about people who are having serious health concerns, my problems are minuscule and while I pray for them to be comforted during their trials, I thank God for sparing me the unimaginable heartache that is theirs to bear 24/7. There, but for the grace of God, go I.




While I spent the days inside in limbo, awaiting beautiful autumn days that never came, I continued to hone my wreath-making skills. Here are a few I can now show you because they have been given to their recipients. Each of the wreaths is approximately 24 inches across and about 6 to 7 inches deep.


Click on the photos to enlarge them, if you want a closer look.


"Let it Snow"
This wreath can be left up well after Christmas! My husband liked it so much, he asked if we could keep it for ourselves.
Since he has chauffeured me around Buffalo on countless shopping trips for the materials I needed, and has been my sole design consultant, I think he is more than a deserving recipient of this one! ðŸ’–
"Little Red Truck"
I donated this to the Gateway House in Attica, New York, for their basket raffle event during the Attica Winterfest. It sports the very popular little red truck and Buffalo check that you find just about everywhere this Christmas!

"Merry Christmas"
I made this for my sister and her husband. It made the trip across the country in one piece! My sister has a Santa collection, so I thought this would be the perfect accompaniment to go with it


Part of today will be spent getting more of the house decorated for Christmas. Even though we are behind schedule, we are not going to let the joy of decorating be diminished by any feelings of being late. Every year just can't be the same, and they never really are. So while we listen to Christmas carols, watch Christmas movies and eventually get all, or just about all, the decorations put up, we will rejoice that we are able to spend one more Christmas season together and pray for those who are having challenges and difficulties that are sometimes made larger by the existence of all the merriment surrounding them.


During this season of advent, I am grateful for you, my readers, for taking time out of your busy days to read my posts, and I will keep you close in prayer, hoping that your holiday will be one of comfort and joy. As always, your questions and comments are welcome. You can leave a comment below or on Facebook. I will read it and respond. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand.


Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment