Friday, December 21, 2018

An old adage proves to be true . . .

There is that old saying "if you want something done, give it to a busy person". I believe this is accurate and I have experienced it in business and in various volunteer organizations. This is the first Christmas in 5 years that my husband and I have not been impacted by me having surgery or convalescing from surgery. Looking back, we both wonder how we got through those years or got anything done. They were very challenging, especially when almost every time I needed to see my surgeon for checkups last winter, the weather was blizzard like, which made the 45 minute drive to his office a white-knuckled ride. I am very grateful for wonderful surgeons who have helped me get to where I am now . . . healthy again. And even more grateful for my husband, who did everything for me to assure my recovery was the best it could be. From grocery shopping, drug store runs, listings and sales for our real estate business, to nursing care, cooking and cleaning, my husband more than stepped up to the plate. He was my guardian angel. Nobody could ever give me better care than he did. It was demanding and tiring, but not once did he utter a discouraging word, complain or leave me needing anything. He was there for me at all hours. He sat up with me on the tough nights and somehow held it all together.




So, this summer and fall, when Christmas was in the distant future, we were sure this would be more like the kinds of Christmases we used to have . . . before 2014. We'd go to the theater, enjoy long leisurely lunches and dinners while out Christmas shopping, and visit some favorite places that make the holidays more special. But, this Christmas, without the urgency of pre-planning because we knew we'd be quite impacted by me being housebound and him my caregiver, we kind of just drifted through the fall and suddenly, it was almost Christmas! Happily, we had gifts in mind for most people on our Christmas list, so we got to work on shopping and mailing things out. We put the final gift in the mail yesterday with a guaranteed delivery in time for Christmas. Decorations are partly up, but there is much more I want to do. I think that I will be able to focus on those things now that I am finished with gifts!


Because it is the Christmas season, I only show photos of wreaths on my blog after the intended recipient has opened them, like the one below. After Christmas, I will post others, . . . and the new year will bring more designs and wreaths. Watch for Winter-themed, Valentines, Mardi Gras, Easter and Springtime wreaths! I am excited about the new year and what it will hold. I am already taking special orders. :-)




Click on the photos below if you want a closer look.


"Nutcracker Christmas Wreath"


Side view to show the wreath's depth.




My husband and I love the Christmas season, with the special festivities, the pretty lights on people's houses, and our home with our big Christmas tree and all our cherished ornaments. We might make some cookies and decorate them this weekend. We plan to have a nice day here at home, just the two of us, on Christmas. We will make a special breakfast, open presents, and later in the day we will have a special dinner. We will hear the voices of our family members, who all live in other states, when they call; and we will spend the evening enjoying the warmth of the fireplace and the glow of the lights on the tree. We will cue up a favorite old Christmas movie and that will be our Christmas day.




We aren't looking for any more years to be like the last 4, but we are looking forward to being busy and having our lists made by the end of summer, our decorations and purchases taken care of and being ready earlier than this year for Christmas. I think that having things going on, like surgeries and the sense of the unknown recovery time that followed, required  us to be better planners and do-ers. It turned us into the busy people who got things done, instead of the content and complacent couple we have been this year, who just kind of drifted into the holidays. In some ways, we were more ready and on our game then, than this year when we've had good health and the gift of time to carry out our plans . . . had we made any!




Regardless, we are still enjoying every minute of it and the next 4 days will be filled with the fun stuff we have been putting off. So here's to Christmas! I hope yours will be merry.




Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to read my blog. As always, your questions and comments are welcome. You can post them below, or on Facebook. I will read them and respond. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.




Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment