Monday, March 26, 2018

Still waiting . . .

While the snow lies in frozen mounds around the yard and along the streets in our village, I am still waiting for a genuinely warm spring day . . . the kind that warms you right to your bones. We haven't had that kind of day yet this spring. With sunny days, there has been melting, but not enough to make the snow disappear for good. The cold nights have lead to a layer of ice beneath the snow and trying to walk around in the yard is like walking on icebergs. The snow is glazed over and frozen solid and doesn't even give under the weight of my feet. I am usually not one to complain about the weather because there is really nothing that any of us can do about it; but this just seems to be the longest and coldest winter I have experienced in a long time, maybe ever.


On the brighter side, the cold weather has kept me inside where I have continued to experiment in my studio and sometimes in the kitchen; but much less in the kitchen! In fact, as I write this, my dear devoted husband is downstairs making supper. :-) I am a lucky girl. I can just sit here and write this post and wait for him to tell me it is time to eat!


Over the past several weeks, I have been enjoying projects that I have been working on as part of an online group I joined. I have always liked looking at mixed media pieces and I have made a few, but never in an ongoing fashion. The group I joined is Artful Evidence on Facebook. The group administrator, Rachel, posts a weekly challenge with a theme. The members of the group can make their art and then post photos in an album to share with the other members. I have discovered that this is a wonderful way for me to try different techniques and to use many of the art supplies I have on hand. Mixed media is not as exacting as some of the paper crafting I have done and I can get through a project much faster than when making a mini album, for instance. Plus, there is the feeling of gratification when I finish in one day, versus working for as long as a month to finish an album that has so many fussy little pieces and moving parts. The mixed media pieces also call on me to dig deep and search for my own creative ideas. I like that.


Below are some of the pieces I have made as challenges and a couple I made just because I felt the urge to create something in between challenges. They are all done on 140# watercolor paper. Click on the photos to enlarge them, if you'd like a closer look.

"Flowers"
6" x 6"
#ArtfulEvidence

"Butterflies"
6" x 6"
#ArtfulEvidence

"Coffee"
6" x 6"
#ArtfulEvidence

" . . . to be all that is possible . . . "
6" x 6"
Gift for a special 20 year old.

"Drips & Splatters"
6" x 6"
#ArtfulEvidence

"Just in time. You found my heart."
Gift for my supper-making husband.

If you are interested in finding out more about the group, please visit Rachel's blog:  http://artfulevidence.blogspot.com/ or visit the Artful Evidence group on Facebook.


I hope you enjoyed seeing what I have been making. I guess my blog posts are turning into a little bit of talk and a lot of show and tell! Thanks for stopping by and spending some time reading my blog. As always, your questions and comments are welcome. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Emmy

2 comments:

  1. Emmy, I LOVE these....especially the ones with music. But they are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete