Tuesday, March 20, 2018

14 Years!

Today is a special day at our house. We were married on March 20th, 2004. Paul, a widower, and myself, never married, started out on a journey that has taken us places and given us memories beyond our expectations. When we married, we said, if we have 5 years together, let's make them the best 5 years we can. When we passed the 5 year mark, we said, if we are lucky enough to have 10 years together, that will be wonderful. Now, as we celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary, and head toward 15 years of marriage, we thank God for each day he has blessed us and look forward to yet one more year as husband and wife.


Has every day been pleasant? No. Have there been some big challenges to overcome? Yes. Have there been special memories made together? Of course! Knowing that our marriage is ordained by God, gives us the confidence to move forward, falter, pick ourselves back up, succeed, and go out into the world together.


My husband never ceases to surprise me. He is a very generous and loving person who always puts me first. It has been hard to get used to, but I admit, it makes me feel very special. A true romantic, he plans special dates, romantic getaways and vacations. But, he also plans other outings that mean a lot to me as well, such as rather ordinary trips to the mall that is about 45 minutes away, just so I can have a better selection at the bigger craft stores. He's pretty smart because he knows that kind of thing leads straight to my crafty little heart.


If you follow my blog, you already know I am a crafter. But what you might not know is Paul has some craftiness, too! He has a computer program that he uses to make customized greeting cards, called Hallmark Connections, Greetings 2000. He says it takes quite a while to get everything formatted and printed, but when he gives me one his specially-made cards, it just melts my heart. Paul made this beautiful card for me and left it next to the coffee pot last night where he knew I would see it first thing this morning!


Paul included a very sweet sentiment inside the card.
By his own admission, he is a hopeless romantic.



I usually make a card for him on our anniversary, and I have been working on a different kind of card for him this year. I saw a segment on Hallmark Channel's Home and Family TV show one day and knew I just had to try to make a DIY project they featured. I ordered a few supplies, did some online research, and started working on it, often in the early hours of the morning when I would not be discovered. Since I wasn't able to go out shopping very much, due to my convalescence from surgery and because it was just too miserable out with all the snow and cold weather, I needed to be resourceful and use what I had on hand to make some of the tools that were required for the job. Over the past month or so, I did a bit of work on it here and there until yesterday when I was finally ready to assemble it ! I took a few process photos and will share them in a future post. But for now, I will post a photo of the finished "card." It is larger than the cards I usually make. This one is 24" x 18" and is framed to hang on the wall. You can find the instructions here: http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/how-to/diy-postcard-wall-art




We will hang our "postcard" in the dining room.



It is a beautiful March day. It is sunny and very cold. It was 18 degrees when I looked out the kitchen window at the thermometer this morning! There is still quite a lot of snow on the ground, but there are places where the sun has melted the snow and we can see patches of grass. It was wintry on our wedding day, but not as cold as this. We took a chance getting married in March in Western New York, but the weather cooperated and friends and family were able to attend. It was a very special day for us, and we love to remember it, but it was only the beginning. 14 years! We are blessed.


It is my sincere wish that you and those you love are well and happy. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Emmy





No comments:

Post a Comment