Thursday, March 15, 2018

March Madness

Today's post includes a bit of of humor . . . at my own expense. I don't mind laughing at myself, especially when so many of my readers may be fans of one of the local college basketball teams that made its way to the coveted NCAA basketball tournament. St. Bonaventure University is a small private college located in Olean, New York, which is about two hours south of here. My two stepsons and one of my daughters in law went to St. Bonaventure, or "BONA", as they affectionately refer to it. It has been a long wait for the team to get back in the tournament. Their last season to participate was in 1970. Tonight they will go up against the Florida Gators in Dallas. To say my family and their college classmates and many others in the area are excited would be an understatement. There are many fans who have taken days off from work to hop on a plane and go to the game tonight. This is a biggie! The way the tournament works is there are 64 teams and with each game, there is a winner who continues on in the tournament. and as the play progresses, there are 32, 16, 8, and 4 teams, and then finally 2 teams that compete for the championship. There are many other terms, I am sure, for each portion of the journey, but that's how I understand it. Serious stuff.


But, now, back to my story. Afterall, this is my blog! I was never a follower of basketball. When I read the newspaper, the sports section was not even opened and went straight into the recycling bin, and when the 11 o'clock news finished the weather report, off the TV went. I had no interest in sports, except attending an occasional Super Bowl party; and that was mostly just for the food! So, back in the year 2002, when I met my sports-loving-husband-to-be and later, his two sports fanatical sons, I should have known my life was about to change. It wasn't an overnight change, but a gradual one. We started dating during football season and when I visited him on Sunday afternoons, I couldn't understand why he talked during the entire game on the phone with his sons. I laughed because they would critique every play, know who should have been doing what on the field, and yelling at the coaches, players and refs. It really was quite amusing. I watched the game and he made sure I benefited from his tutelage of all things football. Then came hockey. I was horrified at the way the players slammed each other against the boards and got into fights on the ice. I learned that is all part of the game and even expected by fans! Oh, and I forgot to mention, my family loves their Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres. And guess what? Now, I do too. I think I even like hockey more than football! Go figure! In fact, during our married years, we have participated in a friends and family fantasy football league. No wagering, just fun, and a lot of learning! I learned to study depth charts, look at stats, maneuver my players around on my roster when they had a bye week, and so much more. It has been a lot of fun. For those readers who are unfamiliar with this, here is a link for you to read all about it  http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/help/whatis  The upshot of all this exposure is that I have definitely changed!


When the time for the NCAA basketball tournament came around in 2003, the conversation took a new turn and there was all this talk about March Madness. I guess I may have heard the term in the past . . . probably during the auto dealers' commercials on TV! It really didn't mean a thing to me. During one of the conversations, my husband and his sons were talking about the big dance. They kept mentioning it like it was some really big deal. As the tournament got underway, and March Madness was being talked about everywhere and on the news, I started to pay more attention. I didn't have a lot of choice, since if I wanted to be part of the family, I needed to be informed to some degree; and I wanted to be part of the family and part of the enthusiastic fun they were having while discussing the teams and games. When it came down to the final game, Syracuse beat Kansas in the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. There are surely some of my readers who are big Syracuse fans, too!


Finally, March Madness was over and I still had one question. I innocently turned to my husband and with all seriousness, I said to him, "So, after they're all tired out from playing a basketball game, now they need to get dressed up and go to a big dance?" My husband, then boyfriend, looked at me in disbelief and asked me, "What are you talking about?" With a straight face, I said, "They kept talking about the teams going to the big dance. I'm just wondering where it will be. Is it after the game?" Lovingly, but also with laughter, he explained to me that the term The Big Dance is the whole March Madness event. So, now when March rolls around, he kids me and tells me I need to get my ball gown out so I can go to the big dance!


Thanks for taking the time to read my blog post. For all the BONA fans out there, it is time to, as they say, "Unfurl the Brown and White!" Fun times! And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Emmy





No comments:

Post a Comment