Friday, January 5, 2024

Progress . . . Not Perfection

My composition book for daily lists. I didn't like using these at all in highschool or college, but really like them now. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I've become nostalgic and want to go back to my school days!

It's a new year, full of hopes and dreams. As we move forward into 2024, I'm trying to be positive and realistic. There are things we all must do on a regular basis to maintain equilibrium in our lives, such as paying bills on time, planning meals and buying groceries, making and keeping doctor appointments, cleaning our home, and getting vaccinated against the new onslaught of viruses ... just to name a few.


There are times in our lives when we get so caught up in the "must do" list that we lack the energy for the "want to do" things, such as hobbies and time spent with friends and relatives. It's winter here in Western New York state. It's cold and snowy at times and there's an uptick in COVID-19, influenza and RSV; but if we choose not to gather in person, there IS the option of using zoom and facetime to visit with others while we stay safe within our own four walls. These technological methods are a real gift and are relatively simple to use after a couple practice runs.

A zoom call image from a couple years ago. It's even better than a phone call because we can see faces!

The pandemic required us to be creative and challenged us to employ new methods for doing everyday things. If you've followed me on facebook or here on my blog, you already know how much I like curbside pickup for my online shopping. Groceries, clothes, household items, skincare, makeup and just about anything you want or need can be picked up curbside ... not to mention, but I will, the CHOICES at the grocery store are fantastic because my shopper can schlep up and down the aisles for me! There's no searching for things in places I'd think they'd be ... only to come up empty handed. And while my shopper is working on my order, I can chat with him/her by text in the app to answer questions. Home delivery for medicines, as well as small appliances and bulky and heavy items, keeps us safe from falls on the ice and saves wear and tear on our aging backs. And, when we need information on how to do something ... anything ... we can hop on the Internet and learn from YouTube videos and blogs. There's really no reason for us to be in the dark in this convenience-focused information-filled world where so much is literally at our finger tips.

Instacart reminds me of the time I've saved by shopping from the comfort of my recliner!

All of these things are indeed progress. Yet, technology isn't perfection. It's a useful tool. Our own ingenuity can often surpass the inventions intended to make our lives easier.  Sometimes keeping it simple wins over downloading an app and having to use a phone or tablet for something that could be accomplished with good old-fashioned pencil and paper! Not to mention, it is good exercise for our brains to perform certain tasks, versus rely on a device. It might even mean that you have less eyestrain and exposure to blue light, which is bad for our eyes. There's not the distraction of notifications splashing across the screen when we use paper and pencil. How many times have we been pulled down a rabbit hole by a notification that is too tempting to ignore, only to be disappointed in ourselves because we were duped into clicking on it?

Since I'm always seeking balance in my life, this year's focus will be on progress  . . . not perfection. I will step back during each day to assess how I'm doing and stop focusing on tasks. Quiet time, play time, and hobbies will have a place of importance in my daily life.

What are you hoping to achieve in this new year? What methods will you use to stay on track? I'd love to hear from you in the comments. We can learn so much by sharing with each other. 

Look at all these days that lie ahead!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. You can click on any of the photos to enlarge them if you want a closer look. 👁👁 As always, your questions and comments are welcome here on my blog or on my Facebook post. Kindly add your name, initials or something that will identify you to me when you post comments on my blog. Blogger doesn't always recognize my friends and calls everyone "anonymous"! I love to read your comments and after I've read and approved them, they'll appear on my blog.

It is my sincere wish that you and those you love are happy and healthy. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy

2 comments:

  1. Mqg. Love progress not perfection, and watching you enjoy the little things in life. And taking time for "want to do".

    Working on my challenge right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I just couldn't come up with a good idea for the library challenge this year. But I have plenty of other quilts and wall hangings to work on!

      Delete