Sunday, January 13, 2019

Cool Colors for a Cold January


When we are into the really cold weather of winter, I try to embrace it by using colors from the landscape inside our home. I took down much of the Christmas decor earlier than usual this year because after spending a week at Disney World, where everything was elegantly decorated for Christmas, I was on green and red overload! It really surprised me that I felt that way, but after seeing very tall tall trees decked out in every hotel lobby, restaurant and park, I was  ready for a calmer look inside our four walls.

I went to the closet to see what tablecloths I had ready to put on our dining room table and came across one that was my mother's. She had a lot of beautiful table cloths that she would use for special occasions. The one I found was one of her smaller ones and when I put it on our table, it fit . . . although it could stand to have another leaf in the table. But it works for me. As I handled the tablecloth and started to arrange the placemats and dishes, I was awash in memories of my mother and I started to wonder if she would like to see my pretty table with her tablecloth spread on it. I smiled and thought she would like it very much. 
If you would like a closer look, 
click on the photo to enlarge it
Cool Blue
A trip to the Dollar Tree for a little retail therapy provided the look I was wanting for under $25! I'm planning to get more use out of the new placemats, glass plates, bowls, goblets, and the glasses and trays on the mantle, when patriotic holidays roll around. The wreath was given to us for Christmas many years ago. I love how it all came together and it is in keeping with our 1846 house. 

When my mother was my age, she didn't have the spare time to think about decor and she definitely didn't have the conveniences that I have. She was still taking care of a large farmhouse and yard, cooking big noon-time meals for our family and the hired man who ate dinner with us, running errands, grocery shopping, and visiting and entertaining friends and relatives. Her shopping, conversations and friendships were not online. She drove to the store everytime she needed groceries, clothes, gifts, and household goods. She visited people face-to-face and when she couldn't drive to see them, she heard their voices on the phone. She organized her time and she got everything done.

The things we have now that are supposed to make our lives more convenient and streamlined might not really live up to our ideas of how effective and useful they are. For me, the time stolen from me daily by the notifications on my phone probably amounts to a couple hours, if I was to time it out. It makes me pause and rethink how I use the media and devices that are at my fingertips. And since it is a  new year, it is as good  time for me  to put into practice what I have considered many times. I am going to try to look at my phone fewer times throughout the day. I usually watch videos, read email, read and send text messages and look at Facebook in the morning while I wake up with my coffee. I will keep that routine because it is something I like and it seems to fit into how I spend the first part of my day. However, unless I need to make a call or send an email, I plan to put my phone down and look at it only a few more times during the day and early evening. That still sounds like a lot of time and maybe I will find that I can wean myself off of my devices more than I plan. Then I might enjoy more days like my mother and have the life I wish for. I would like more face-to-face visits and more phone calls. I miss hearing my friends and relatives voices. I think of all the things that I miss, what I miss the most is talking on the phone.

I am glad I have the opportunity to reach out to you via the internet on my blog, and I know it takes time out of your day when you read my posts. I am very grateful to have you in my life and enjoy hearing from you when you make comments. Your questions and comments are always welcome here on my blog or on Facebook. I read every one and respond. So, although I may sound like I am a little negative about using media and devices, I am not so much negative as I am learning to be more selective in how I use them . . . which I think is a positive approach. :-)

So, thank you for taking the time today to read this post. It is my hope that you and those you love are happy and healthy. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment