Sunday, February 25, 2018

Love and Kindness . . . and Prayers

This is a post that shouldn't be difficult to write, but for some unknown reason, I am having trouble getting the words on the screen. Since early December, I have been housebound, recovering from surgery. When I first came home, my activities were quite limited. I wasn't supposed to lift, push, pull  . . . pretty much do next to nothing! Thankfully, I am blessed with a husband who is the best caregiver I could hope for. I really mean that. Paul took care of me and everything else, including all the things I used to do pre-surgery. He ran errands in some of the snowiest and coldest weather we've had in years, shopped for and cooked special things for me to eat, cleaned the house, finished the Christmas shopping, wrapping and mailings, helped me in and out of my chair, stayed up all night with me on many nights when I was anxious or could not get comfortable, and the list goes on. Imagine being helpless. That is pretty much how I felt for about the first four weeks when I returned home. Since my surgery, I have been out of the house about a handful of times. But, if you follow me here on my blog, you already know I am content to stay inside my nice warm home in the winter!


The highlight of my days was getting mail, and in January there was some very special mail that made its way directly to my heart. Several of the friends I have made in the quilt guild and artsy group that I am in sent handmade gifts to me. I was so touched, and am still, and forever will be. As the gifts arrived, I felt so cared about. My friends made beautiful prayer flags for me. I get very teary when I consider the time that each of them took, during what is an already busy time of year, to make something for me by hand. I know that I was being thought of and prayed for by these special friends and that just touches my heart to its' very core. Each flag reflects the maker and I can't express how special I feel to own them. I know from having been on the other side of this kind of project, what it feels like as you design and create something for a friend who needs to know how much they are thought of and cared for. I have been deeply moved during the process of making things for someone to where the feeling of prayerful meditation becomes part of the process. Those prayers are sent while making things and then again when they are received. That is what this has been like for me. I feel the prayers when I hold the flags, look at all the meaningful expression that they hold and when I look at them from across the room.


I strung the flags on a ribbon so I could look at all of them together. They are a wonderful lift when I walk into the room. We've had the snowiest and coldest winter in a long time. The nicest thing about the piles of snow outside is the light they added to the landscape. It made the rooms brighter so our moods didn't succumb to the often gray skies, and these precious prayer flags seem to light up when they are illuminated from the window.


If you would like a closer look at the photos below, you can click on them to enlarge them and see the beautiful details in each prayer flag.


My beautiful gifts strung on a ribbon to make a banner.




Made by Mary Ellen Casey

Made by Chris Kuehl

Made by Lori Anderson

Made by Tracy Jachimowicz

Made by Susan Rathbun

Made by Elaine Ross
Elaine has a blog where you can see her other work.
http://quilterelainesblog.blogspot.com/


Made by Connie Grimsley


Made by Martha Lorshbaugh
Martha has a blog where you can see her other work.
http://bitsofmerth.blogspot.com/


I think you can see why I was overwhelmed by love and kindness . . . and prayers. These prayer flags are cherished gifts that have made the days I have spent at home recovering from surgery brighter.


Thank you for stopping by to read my blog today. As always, your questions and comments are welcome. It is my hope that you and those you love are safe, happy, and healthy. And until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Emmy







No comments:

Post a Comment