Tuesday, June 30, 2015

How To Make An ATB Foundation Box

I made a very quick ATB today as a favor for a friend, who wanted to see how I made mine. An ATB is an Artist Trading Box. It is similar to an ATC, an Artist Trading Card. Artists swap these and they are little works of art.

I will put captions on the photos below to give you an idea of the steps I took to make this ATB.


This is a 3 inch by 3 inch covered chipboard box.
It does not open.
It is merely to look at and enjoy.
It needs to be embellished, but I have not done that step yet.

I started out with a 12 inch x 12 inch sheet of thin chipboard.
I prefer medium weight chipboard, but I did not have any on hand today.

I cut a 3 inch strip off the 12 x 12 sheet.

This is the sheet in the paper cutter ready to be cut.

This is the 3 inch x 12 inch strip.
I scored the 3 inch x 12 inch piece of cardstock every 3 inches. I did NOT cut thru it.
I lightly scored it.

I scored it at 3 inches, 6 inches and 9 inches.

You can see the score mark/ cut mark here.
Remember, this is not cut all the way thru the chipboard.

All three scores have been made with the cutting blade.
 
I used scotch tape to make the box.
It was quick and easy for this example.

You can see the beginning of the 3 inch x 3 inch box.

I cut two 3 inch x 3 inch squares.
You may need to add a 16th or an 8th of an inch to this depending on the depth of the chipboard you use.
Measure twice, cut once!

All taped up.
It is almost square!

And . . . later on, you will be able to make something like this!

I don't have an example handy right now, but for the edges of the box,
I cut some 3 inch strips. they may be about 1.5 inches wide, or so.
I mitered the corners and this fortifies the box.
Before you begin this part, you may want to use gesso on the chipboard box to give it some "tooth".

View 1

View 2

View 3

 
View 4
The stripe is on the bottom of the box.




This is it for now . . . I hope you can follow this and of course, there are many ways to make a box!
This is just the way I have made them. :-)

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

Until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment