Saturday, June 8, 2019

Spinning Plates


Melmac. Say that word to anyone who grew up in the 1950's or '60's and they'll know exactly what you are talking about. I think there was a set of Melmac dinnerware in every mid-century American family's home. Ours was light green. It was a complete service for eight with serving dishes plus one additional small yellow plate, cereal bowl, cup and saucer that was mine. I loved having my own little plate and bowl. I felt very special whenever it was set at my place at the table. For more information about Melmac, here's a link:
https://hobbylark.com/collecting/Collecting-Melmac-Dinnerware-Vintage-Fun

I hadn't thought of those plates, bowls, cups and saucers for a long time until yesterday. I reached up and took a bowl out of the kitchen cupboard to use for some avocado slices. As I set the bowl on the counter, it spun around on its base making a sound that brought back a special memory. It sounded a lot like the Melmac dishes we used to spin when we set the table for dinner. It was a funny little thing that we did to amuse ourselves as we made our way around the long formica kitchen table. But what struck me today, as I recalled the sound of the spinning  plates, was how much joy my mother took in doing it with us. As busy as my mother was in the kitchen, she took the time to play along with us. She could really get those plates spinning!

My heart was warmed with the memory of those days in our kitchen at home on the farm and I began to think about other things that I do regularly that remind me of my mother and father. For example,  when I clear my throat, I sound exactly like my mother. Sometimes the sound startles me. When I am pensive, I tend to fold my hands the same way that my father did; and when I am having a conversation with someone and need to listen intently so I can respond, I fold my left arm across my body and rest my right folded arm on the back of my hand at a right angle, while I hold two fingers to my cheek, and my thumb beneath my chin. I remember my mother holding that very same pose when we would have heart-to-heart talks. And it isn't only things about myself that remind me of them. When I was on the phone with my cousin, who I haven't seen in decades, I teared up when he uttered a very familiar chuckle. His father and my father were brothers and very close all throughout their lives, and at times, you couldn't distinguish which one was speaking unless you were in the same room. They sounded that much alike. When I heard my cousin's laughter, it was such a familiar sound, but one I had not heard in almost 40 years. He sounded so much like my father that it took my breath away and I just sat there listening and smiling through my tears. What a gift it was to hear him laugh!

A lot of what we learn in childhood and throughout our lives are not things for which we have had instruction, but from observation and mimicking. I am sure there is a scientific name for this kind of patterning. I don't need to go to the Internet and research it right now. I am writing from my heart and don't need a wordy definition or to spend an hour wandering around Google for specifics. What I am trying to convey is that we probably could stop and listen or observe our habits and find that there we are very much like those who raised us, including teachers, clergy, and even neighbors. Every time I wrap leftovers in wax paper, I make a fold along the top that I call my "Dorothy fold", after our neighbor and good family friend. I spent a lot of time with her and her family when I was growing up. While helping clear the table and put away food one summer night, she showed me that clever fold and I use it to this day. It is a funny little memory, but one I hold dear.

Do you have habits or characteristics that remind you of someone from your childhood? If you do, I hope that they bring a smile to your face when you realize where they came from. We never know the effect we have on others. I guess that is why it is good to try to be on our best behavior at all times, not that we can be . . . but I will leave those other learned habits and behaviors to your (and my) own private thoughts. What I say or do when I drop an open gallon of milk on the kitchen floor isn't the kind of patterning I am writing about! 😉

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read this post. As always, your questions and comments are welcome here on my blog or on Facebook. I will read them and respond.

It is my wish that you and those you love are safe, happy and healthy. And, until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you sure woke up some memories in my heart ... happy tears are flowing as I write this. I honestly think of Mom every time I use wax paper too... I never knew she showed it to you and I'm so glad she did. I hear my Mom in different sounds I make, too - especially coughing! And little moans & groans when I'm not feeling well. Sometimes when I catch my reflection in a mirror, I swear I see Mom. Our Moms are definitely in us. I'm sure you are as proud to have them as I am. Dang I miss both of them. It'll be 3 years next week that Mom passed away, so your timing of this blog was perfect. Thanks for this my friend, it made my heart happy (even though it made me cry!!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😊 Thanks for commenting. I am sorry it took me this long to reply! I think I tried and had a glitch and then never returned to this page. My apologies! 💖

    ReplyDelete