Saturday, March 23, 2019

Lace and Memories

It is a chilly morning here in Western New York State. The sun is shining brightly in a blue sky, which is not the usual for us during the winter due to the lake effect from Lake Erie that casts clouds and drops snow over the region. But, it is no longer winter. The season changed to spring three days ago. But March is very changeable and so while it is a pretty morning, it is a very cold one with a temperature of only 19 degrees and a wind chill "feels like" temperature of 5 degrees. There is an inch of snow on the ground from overnight flurries and my plans to rake out one of my little gardens where spring bulbs are popping up through the layers of dead leaves are dashed. But, this does not depress me or deter me from making the inside of our home more spring-like. I changed out the Valentine's Day décor when Mardi Gras and then St. Patrick's Day approached. There was a lot of green to be seen, and it remains still, but in a quieter voice. The dried hydrangea bloom leaf wreath that I made last fall is back up on the wall and a few favorite green depression glass pieces, pottery and such decorate the mantle, along with a handmade piece that a quilting friend made for me when I was recovering from surgery, hanging on the wall. The faded sage tablecloth that I used on the table looked pretty drab, so I decided to give my lace tablecloth a chance to shine. I have had this beautiful handmade crocheted gem for over 30 years, but have never owned a rectangular table until last January, where it could be showcased. I had used it as a throw draped over the shoulder of a wingback chair and as a cover over a plain white sheet on a twin bed, but never has it had the chance to be used as it was intended . . . on a table.

This is a very special piece that I treasure. It was made especially for me by my Aunt Mabel, who lived just down the road from us in a little house that always smelled like sweet perfumed dusting powder and showed the activity of a busy seamstress, fancywork maker, baker and gardener. We were always very close and when the only grandmother I had ever known passed away when I was 8 years old, Aunt Mabel seemed to step in and assume the role. At her knee, I learned to sew and crochet. She would show me the steps to make things and I would practice until I got it right. She was a stickler for doing good work, so I became adept at ripping out stitches and trying again. I would often walk down to her house after supper and stay until after dark, even on school nights! I would lose track of time and my mother would call on the phone to ask if I would be coming home. I would stay just a few minutes more and walk back, sometimes after midnight, on a very dark rural road.

Aunt Mabel always had something new that she was working on to show me when I visited, which was several times a week; and on one such visit, when I saw a little 5-inch square of a crocheted wheat motif, I knew I wanted something made in that pattern. I asked Aunt Mabel if she could make something for me and a few years later she surprised me with the tablecloth. I was thrilled and never expected such a gift, although I think I may have hinted that a tablecloth would be my wish. The wheat motif held special meaning for me because our road was bordered by fields of golden wheat every summer and the harvest was always an important event for our farm family.
Please click on the photos for a closer look, if you wish. 
The 5"x5" square crocheted wheat motif that is used throughout my heirloom tablecloth.
Back to my story about covering that drab sage green tablecloth . . . I went to the closet and pulled out the folded tablecloth and carefully laid it out on my ironing board. I starched it and it came out beautifully. I carried it downstairs and started to drape it over the table and as I did so, my heart started to beat a little faster and when I made the final adjustments, I began to cry. It was a perfect fit. I could not have asked for a better gift. I was filled with emotions and memories and now every time I walk through the dining room, I feel such a sense of comfort, connection and belonging. Yes, belonging in my own home. The tablecloth's presence is like an anchor in a safe harbor for my heart.

The heirloom tablecloth adorns our dining room table.

Thank you for stopping by to read my post. Do you have favorite heirlooms, either passed down to you, or those you have acquired over the years? If you do, I hope you will find ways to enjoy them, or that you are doing so already, because even on a cold day such as this, you will find they can warm your heart. As always, your questions and comments are welcome. I read all comments and will respond here on my blog or on Facebook. It is my hope that you and those you love are happy and healthy . . . and until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment