Tuesday, October 9, 2018

End of Summer . . .


Some of my friends and followers have asked me where I have been. I haven't gone away and I haven't stopped blogging, but I found during the summer I was outdoors more than I was inside! There is always yard and garden work to do and when I take a break, it has been nice to just sit in our backyard and daydream. Since I don't spend as much time inside, like I do when colder weather arrives, I'm not at my computer organizing my thoughts into an outline or just typing some random ideas that might make their way into a post someday. You might think I could have squeezed in some time for a blog post here and there . . . and in hindsight, I think I could have, too; but . . . that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

This summer was especially tough with oppressive heat and humidity. It made me think a lot about my parents and how hard they worked every day on the farm in the heat of summer . . . and there were plenty of hot summers when I was a kid. My father would work in the hot sun and my mother would prepare big noon-time meals in the steamy kitchen. As I struggled just to have the energy to pull weeds and water my garden, I wondered how on earth they did what they did day in and day out for all their lives. Yet, I also think they enjoyed their lives and I am pretty sure they would be happy for me and the luxuries I have. They would be amazed at the conveniences we have today and would enjoy the time saved in the fields and in the kitchen because of technological advances.

Although we are now into fall, in many ways my garden is more beautiful at this time of year than in the summer. The perennials have had time to grow and fill out and some are now in full flower. I have some favorite photos I have taken this summer that appear in this post with captions under them. Other than that, this isn't a post of much depth; but instead, it is a post of summer memories and the simple delights that I found in my own backyard. The photos are a bit random and in no particular order, but are some of my favorites. I have more photos to post that are more recent and I will include them in a post later this month. :-)
You can click on the photos for a closer view.






A frequent visitor to the bird feeders.
You can see why we seemed to be going through bird seed so fast if you take a look at his chubby cheeks!
We managed to curtail his visits by strategically moving the baffle on the pole that holds the feeder.

While driving home from Attica about dusk one evening, I saw this beautiful hitchhiker on the antenna of my car.
I pulled into a parking lot and was able to get a photo of him/her with the clouds in the sky reflected in the red hood of my car.


Our neighbors' back yard is visited just about every evening around 7 o'clock by this small herd of deer.
There are adults and fawns that still have their spots.
They are enjoying the apples that have fallen from their trees.





A Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar chomping on milkweed leaves.

I saw fewer Monarch butterflies this summer than last year.
Every time I see one, it still thrills me!

I did some shopping on Facebook virtual garage sales this summer.
I was very happy to find these little metal trellises.
They are pictured lined up on my work table in the yard.
I spray painted them with glossy black paint and now they are ready for me to use next spring.

These dianthus smell like cinnamon!



You might remember seeing "Blossom" in the garden last year.
I decided she needed a new look, so I removed her dress and wings.
She is still waiting for her new ensemble and I feel bad for her. She makes me think of Cinderella after the ball. :-(
I hope to get her dressed up and back out in the garden soon.

The clematis climbed up the trellis and gave us some blooms this summer.
All that remains now are the seed pods.






Those seed pods on the clematis intrigue me!



At the base of the clematis vine on the trellis, the hydrangea had one enormous bloom!

One of the four Mullein that we planted around the gazing ball in the center of the garden to fill in the spaces between the butterfly bushes. The bushes have filled in a lot this year and by next year, I hope they create a ring of color around the center of the garden.

This coral and pink coreopsis just bloomed and bloomed for us this summer.

The shrub roses had to fight for their lives this summer because of the Japanese beetles that devoured the flowers. It was hard to find a pretty bloom for a photo. These roses were very fragrant and had that old fashioned rose scent that I remember from my mother's rose garden.

I used several of the hydrangea blooms to make some wreaths.
I cut them directly off the bush and used them while they were fresh to make the wreaths.
I really like how they turned out and they still look great five weeks later!





I liked this friendly butterfly.
He was very cooperative and posed for me on a phlox blossom.

I also cut some hydrangeas for drying.
They are dry now and I need to find a use for them!
I am thinking they may look nice on a Christmas tree.











A big rose hip on the shrub rose bush.
I hope birds will find them in the winter.

A cluster of blossoms on the shrub rose bush.

These yellow day lilies are now long gone and have been cut back.
We plan to dig them and relocate them to make room for something different in this part of the garden.
The lilies and the hydrangea were here before we put in the garden.
It was formerly our pool and deck area.


I had to remember it is okay to cut my flowers and bring them inside the house!


This swallowtail butterfly visited the Echinacea.

One of the Monarchs who landed on the butterfly bush.

This is how the hydrangea bush looked in the summer . . . before the blossoms turned green.
I think I cut about 150 stems and there are still about 100 left!

Now that it is officially fall, I plan to get back in the groove and write posts more often. I will miss the warm weather and hours spent in the yard and garden, but as I write this we are experiencing what might be the hottest day for October 9th in over 100 years, so the warm weather hasn't left us yet!

It is time to decorate for fall and to start thinking about buttoning up a few things outside. My mind will turn to thoughts of apples, cider, chunky sweaters, raking leaves, trips to the pumpkin patch and that crisp cool nip in the air that says "it's fall"! I will have time to think about things other than my yard and garden and I will be back without such a long delay. I admit it . . . I get rather myopic when it comes to my garden. I am sure you have noticed! ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. As always, your comments and questions are welcome. I hope you and those you love are well and happy . . . and until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment