Tuesday, October 20, 2015

It's the little things that count . . .


Most of us have been sick a few times with a bad cold or the flu. It always surprises me how much energy they steal from me.  When I am sick, I try to remember what it felt like to feel well and tell myself at these times that I will never take my good health for granted. So, while I have been recovering from surgery, (see my September 29, 2015, blog post), I have once again been reminded that feeling good is never to be taken for granted.

My surgery was a month ago and I have been home for almost three weeks. My surgeon and my nurses have been wonderful teachers. I have learned so much from them about the healing process. Things need time to heal. My surgeon explained to me that every part of the body does not heal at the same rate. That makes sense. But, what I didn't realize is that when I am healing up on the inside and the outside, there is an important medical reason why I have been told not to overdo it...a reason that up until now had escaped me. If I push my body to do too much, the energy spent on what ever it is, is stolen away from the part that needs to heal. It reminds me of a quote by Publilius Syrus (circa 85 - 43 B.C.) which I came across the other day, that said, "To do two things at once is to do neither."

As I thought about it, it seemed like a good analogy would be a home remodeling project. My surgeon said while one part is healing, another part may just be resting, or at a stage where it needs to wait for another part to be improved before it can re-engage in the process. This is where it seems similar to a remodeling project. If you've ever remodeled something, you know there are certain stages where, from the outside, it looks like nothing is happening. But, while the foundation has been fortified, or the walls are just roughed in, there are other things that must happen at the right time, such wiring or heating and plumbing. One of my nurses pointed out that the body's healing process is a delicate balance that, if given the time and rest it requires, functions wonderfully.

In the fast-paced world we live in, where medicine and technology have lured us into a false sense of security, we push our bodies in unnatural ways. I think people forget there are limits to our body's ability to heal itself. We focus on getting better fast so we can get out and get back to our normal lives. There have been medical advances and technological advances that help speed things up; but the human body is built the same way today as it was when God created it. The reason why I can heal faster today from this particular kind of surgery than I could have ten or twenty years ago, is due to technology. I was stitched up on the inside, but not on the outside. Before you pass out, stop here and know that I will NOT elaborate or provide details. I have a device that is a vacuum that is attached to my wounds. The good news is that I am healing up at a miraculous pace. But I still need to let my body rest and allow it to heal in the stages it requires.

My pace, as I try to maneuver around the house with a walker, is slow. I haven't been able to do much of anything for myself, so today when I got out to the kitchen and poured my own coffee and carried it to the living room, it felt like a real big deal! I sat at my studio work bench a couple times this week, but I am just not quite there yet. I hope to work on finishing some projects I started a couple months ago. Maybe I can do that soon. I can't wait to post photos here on my blog when they are complete!

I ordered yarn to knit a couple chunky scarves/shawls for the winter. As I type this, my hubby is at the post office picking up the order. I usually work on at least one knitted or crocheted project every year when the weather starts to turn cold. I should have a photo or two to post next time.

My yarn order arrived.
Now to pick out a pattern and start a project!
But for now, I appreciate the rest I am getting and the care I am being given by my visiting nurses and my devoted husband. I look forward to slowly getting back into my studio and, in the meanwhile, knitting something new to wear this winter.

It really is the little things that count, from pouring my own coffee, to knitting, to even sleeping while the painkillers do their job. I am grateful.

I hope those you love are well and happy. And, until we meet again, may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Emmy

2 comments:

  1. All of this is so true. It kind of reminds me that in the working world, one is expected to "multi-task". I think some employers are getting away from that. Although the way everyone has downsized it still amounts to the same thing. When I think of all the years I had to run around like a chicken with my head cut off, it sure makes me appreciate my time now. Yet there still aren't enough hours in the day! I remember when I first came home from the hospital and wondered how I was ever going to climb my stairs. You're right - it's the little things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️ Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete