Thursday, September 3, 2015

Quilts 'n' Things

There are just a few things to write about in today's post. Two quilty things are included that are unrelated, but worth mentioning. First is a card I made for my sister for her August birthday. I wanted a change from the kinds of cards I had been making. This patchwork pinwheel style card is a definite departure from the floral and shabby chic cards I have been making!

I used a few sheets of 6x6 paper made by Authentique.
I embellished the card front with sheer ribbon and metal brads.
The interior of the card.
Another August birthday in our family!
Our oldest grandson turned 15 this year.
I couldn't wait to finally use my 8x8 pad of Graphic 45 Good ol' Sport paper!
I used a corrugated card base and inked the edges.
He is a true sports enthusiast, so this paper was perfect!
The interior.
I used individual little block stamps for the simple sentiment.
Another quilt.
This one has a funny little story.
I saw this hanging on the wall of my younger granddaughter' s room.
I thought it was cute.
When I asked my daughter-in-law who made it, she said,
 "You did. You and Becca made it together several years ago!"
After searching my memory banks, I remembered sewing it at our house when the kids and grandkids were at our house for a summertime visit.
It was a quick project and intended to be a doll quilt, but has been elevated to art on the wall!
My granddaughter, who is ten years old, also absolutely loves to craft,
especially with her Gramma Emmy.
She had an idea for an altered composition book.
She intently searched the internet for a mermaid image and printed one out.
Her plan for the cover was for it to look as though you were looking at the mermaid through a dimensional "window".
We rescued an empty cereal box from the recycling bin and cut the ovals and "windows", layered them, painted them with silver paint, and placed them over the mermaid before we glued the whole piece to the cover that Becca had chosen to cover with the light blue floral paper.
The metal key is strung on a cord to resemble rope and, in keeping with the mermaid theme, is tied with a nautical knot.
What I find most interesting and precious, is the poem on the cover.
I asked Becca if she found it on the internet and she matter-of-factly answered,
"No. I wrote it."
I might be just a little biased, but I think it is pretty cool that a ten-year-old could write something so poetic!
Becca wrote it that morning!

Being that it is now September, there is no getting around it. Fall is right around the corner. It is time to button up all the end of summer lawn work. We need to buy a couple bales of straw and get some pumpkins and gourds and hang the fall wreaths and garlands. That is on the agenda for this weekend! Don't you just love fall? What special traditions do you have...or what traditions do you want to begin? It's a new season. Have fun!

That is all for today. I hope you are happy and well; and until we meet again, May the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment