Friday, January 23, 2015

Like a Prayer . . .


This week has been a tough one for me and for many of my friends and colleagues. The woman who was my mentor when I began my real estate career was hospitalized two weeks ago and while she was in the hospital, they discovered that she had a terminal illness. My friend came home earlier this week under hospice care. I knew I would not be able to visit her, but wanted to make something special for her. Since I have been making greeting cards a lot lately, I decided to make her the prettiest card I could. It turned out to be a very spiritual experience. While I was making the card and the box to put it in, it felt like I was saying a prayer with my hands.  It was unlike anything I had ever experienced before and was a very touching and memorable experience. I could not get to the post office because I have been housebound while I am recovering from surgery. I planned to mail the card today. However, we learned late yesterday that my friend passed away yesterday afternoon. I will keep the card as a memory of my friend and think of her when I see it or hold it in my hands.  

Here is a photo of the card and the coordinating envelope box that I made.

The passing of my friend reminded me of the importance of living each day to the fullest. When my cousin passed away a few years ago, my husband and I adopted a phrase from the movie Titanic. Make it Count. In memory of those who have gone before us and as a gift to God, I try to live each day with appreciation of the gifts I have been given. I know they are just that . . . gifts . . . and I should not take them for granted. I should share them with others. That is why I don’t feel guilty when I spend time in my studio playing and trying new things that I can share with others. Our time here on earth is precious. Make it count!


In loving memory of Cathy A. Waggoner
 


Until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

                                                                                                      Emmy


6 comments:

  1. Emmy, my thoughts and prayers are with you as you go thru this time of sadness. The story of your card is just beautiful. You are such a loving person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooow I love the card and the inside is beautiful did u piece it on separately? Love the colors very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany. I pieced the interior of the card with the printed cardstock on the top of the interior and parchment on the bottom of the interior. I die cut the frame and stamped the sentiment on the paper. I hope this is the answer to your question!

      Delete
  3. Your card is a precious reminder of a true friend. I do hope you are feeling better. Miss you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathi. I will miss Cathy, but I have some nice memories of her to keep in my heart. I miss seeing you too. I hope to be out and about in a few months.

      Delete